My blog has moved!

Please visit
http://wetshine.net
for new content and update your bookmarks.

Welcome to Wet Shine Detailing!

To navigate this blog, you can use the Post Digger or Label Cloud located at the bottom of the page. Use Google Custom Search to search for a specific content such as 'Honda Civic' or 'Collinite 476s'.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Wheel Protectants: Waxes, Sealants or Coatings?

Good day fellas! Howdy howdy ho...yeeehaaaw!

So, it's a known fact that we hobbyist detailers loooove waxing our paintwork. Some love the satisfaction of looking at the shiny paint after the hard work. Others find that massaging the paint with a coat of buttery wax is as sensational as rubbing a coat of soft butter over their partner. Okay maybe not the latter, but you get the idea!

With the paintwork on the body getting all the loving, what about the wheels? It's a well known fact that wheels tend to be jealous attention-seekers. They wipe their face with brake dust just to get you noticed and have you clean them. Sometimes, this jealousy can be so bad that brake dust will just build up on your wheels so fast that it might be too difficult to wash off if you delay your wash routine.

Which is where wheel protectants come into the picture. There are many types of wheel waxes on the market, just have a look on Autogeek. The problem is, many of these wheel waxes in addition to making the wheels easier to clean, claim to *repel* brake dust. The only wheel wax I have is Poorboys Wheel Sealant, and it claims to repel brake dust on the directions, but I haven't found it to do so.

So I continued the hunt for a better wheel protectant. You may have recalled I used Carmate C19 SIV Wheel Coat, and from my test, it has outlasted Poorboys Wheel Sealant. However, it wasn't very durable either, as it was completely stripped off with only one clean with a degreaser.

Then I realised my application method could be wrong after watching this video by Carmate.



From the video above, it looks like the Carmate SIV Wheel Coat will dry to a clear finish without being buffed off. So I tried to do that and did a comparison with Finish Kare 1000P.

Photobucket

The wheels were pretty clean to start with.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Hosed down the wheel when it is cool to touch, and cleaned with Carmate PS60 Brake Dust Cleaner.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After cleaning and drying the wheel. Carmate C19 SIV Wheel Coat was applied to one half while the other half received Jeff's Werkstatt Prime:Acrylic and two coats of FK 1000P.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Ingrained dirt removed by JW Prime

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Contents of the box for Carmate C19 SIV Wheel Coat.

Photobucket
Changing the used foam for a fresh one.


Photobucket
Clear liquid.

Applied it as per directions.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also applied some on to the paint just to see what it would be like. Thanks for the suggestion Mobile Blogger!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Goes on wet

Photobucket
Dries off rainbow-ish?

I then took a spray bottle with water and sprayed the previously used foam.

Photobucket

The water was literally bouncing off the porous foam!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I left it on for 2 days but did not see it dry to a clear finish.

Photobucket

The area where I applied it on the paint also looked the same.

Photobucket

So I just buffed it off and took some beading shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Let's time travel 24 days ahead.

Photobucket

Both sides were not beading well anymore.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So I guess no matter what we use, it just isn't worth the effort applying a protectant on the wheels of a daily driver. It will offer protection no doubt, but probably only for a week or two. If the car isn't driven frequently, then protection will definitely last much longer, and maybe the effort can be justified.







But wait!

It isn't over...




I was lucky to have some high-end coating applied to another half of my wheel. The performance of the product is just...insane.

Photobucket

Photobucket

One half was applied with G'Zox Wheel Coat while the other with Carmate C19 SIV Wheel Coat.

Fast forward 44 days.

Photobucket
The wheel before cleaning.

You can already notice the difference in beading between both sides.

I then washed it with some Osren Bubble and Wax shampoo.

Photobucket

There was also a different feel when washing the wheel. The side coated with Carmate C19 SIV Wheel Coat had more friction to it. The side coated with G'Zox however, felt super smooth, the bristles of the brush just glides over the wheel spoke, feels as if I am scrubbing glass itself.


Photobucket
After washing.

It is still super hydrophobic after the wash and water literally bounces off the wheel as I spray it with water.

Photobucket

The side with Carmate is basically flat and dead.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Water behaviour on the wheel was the same as what you see in the Carmate video above.

This is seriously impressive. Too bad these products are not available for DIY use and can only be professionally applied. With the wheel coating being so good, you can just imagine what their paint protectants will be like. I can see why silgt from Absolute Gloss raves about it on his blog and Autoworld forum.

Anyway, this post is not to endorse G'Zox but it does sounds like it eh. I am an advocate for DIY detailing and am dissatisfied that these high performance products are not available to us end users. That's business I guess.

Photobucket

That's all and thanks for looking! Comments are always appreciated, both good and bad. Who knows, a tub of Dodo Juice Supernatural wax might appear on your desk if you comment below!

Photobucket

8 comments:

izso 12:49 PM  

Where to get this G'Zox treatment? Probably costs a small country to do too?

Anything that prevents brake dust from sticking?

And I want that Dodo Juice. Heh.

Yasir 1:57 PM  

hhhmmm, g'zox stuffs ah? lemme see if my jap contact can get me some. i feel that, in this case, Optimum No-Rinse wash would be super. but if you're using high - temp brake pads [ i used Yellow Stuff for my previous ride, damn good wei, 180 kph slow down to 80 kph with no wheel lock or swaying steering wheel in well under 30 metres ], penat la wei, the brake dust damn bad liao.

TimG 5:57 PM  

Myriads of so called nano coatings out there now, cant decide which one to buy *LOL* if GZOX was available to mere end users like mua, then I'll be in for some. Great review again plus love them pictures Ken!

So where's my S/N? Need some to remove hair off *LOL*

Kenneth Tang a.k.a Fishbonezken 11:06 PM  

@Izso - I think the only place to get G'Zox in our country at the moment is at Darren from Autodetailer. Although he doesn't state that the glass coating he uses is G'Zox, most of us assume it is.
Regarding how much, I have no idea.

@Yasir - ONR sounds ideal to maintain the wheels with. If you got lubang for G'Zox, count me in please..hehe

@Tim - Thanks mate, and yeah, I also feel the sudden 'ambush' by the number of different coatings available. It is only a matter of time till the market gets saturated and these coatings will be available to anyone. Sorry the Wax Fairy is on leave today, so no S/N for you I'm afraid... T.T

AbsoluteGloss 1:14 AM  

I couldn't do a better review myself *haha*

I was not kidding when I raved about G'Zox months ago. The performance of the products across the range really made me sit up and take these coating thingy seriously! Tried so many products which over claim and under deliver and unfortunately, with so many brands out there and many of unknown origin, it sometime confuses potential clients about the validity of such claims.

All I can say is after having G'Zox Glass Coating on my car for well over 18 months now, the performance of it still amazes me so much so my client decided on G'Zox after watching a real life demo today! The rim coat is truly my favourite together with the Nano Plastic Coat.

This one tho might just top it all tho...http://wp.me/p6dOL-bT

Kenneth Tang a.k.a Fishbonezken 11:03 AM  

@AbsoluteGloss,
haha thanks man!! 18 months is seriously long and a good testimony for the performance of the product. I saw your link, I wonder how it will differ with other 'Quartz' coating such as http://www.pomponazzi.com/eng/ or http://www.aquartz.net/aquartz.html

Btw, how is the G|Techniq holding up on your client's black Alfa?

auto detailing 10:52 AM  

Wow, the Beautiful Gzox is indeed very impressive. I wonder how much it costs. And yeah, it sucks that really good products like this are not available to DIY users. :(

clean room 1:19 PM  

This kind of job should be handled only by professional applicators to ensure a clean and smooth finished.

Label Cloud

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP